Death Toll Rises to Five, 23 Missing after Avalanche Hits Italian Hotel

Rome, The death toll in an avalanche that buried a hotel in Italy earlier this week has risen to five and 23 people are still missing, officials told dpa on Saturday.

Four survivors – two women and two men – were pulled from the rubble overnight and this morning, an official from the prefect’s office in the Abruzzo city of Pescara, which is overseeing the rescue efforts said.

The bodies of two women and one man were also recovered, bringing the total fatalities so far to five, the official said.

This brings to 11 the number of people rescued alive from the Rigopiano Hotel in the mountainous Abruzzo region since Wednesday’s avalanche, Civil Protection chief Fabrizio Curcio told reporters at a press conference.

The avalanche was triggered by four powerful magnitude-5 earthquakes that shook central Italy earlier this week.

Rescuers working under “extreme conditions” were able to locate two more people alive under the hotel rubble and are trying to reach them, Curcio said.

Another five people who went missing following avalanches elsewhere in Abruzzo were found dead Friday, the Civil Protection Department said.

Source: Qatar News Agency