–As companies deal with employees using their own devices in the workplace, Alcatel-Lucent offers flexible application fluent network services for enterprise mobility and multimedia use
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, Oct. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today unveiled major enhancements of its enterprise solutions portfolio with the launch of its Unified Access approach for both wired and wireless networks.
The rapid proliferation of mobile devices and use of multimedia services among employees has led to new challenges for enterprises and IT managers. Multiple operating systems, adoption of cloud, and dynamic network demand is overwhelming the capabilities of separate stand-alone IT tools and systems. In addition, many enterprise networks have not kept pace with the need to deliver secure and dynamic services to user communities.
Alcatel-Lucent’s Unified Access is the first converged wired and wireless solution to address networking challenges, management complexity and offer a consistent user experience. It comprises a rich set of secure BYOD (“bring your own device”) services that enables employees and customers to use corporate or personal, wired or wireless devices on the enterprise network, while the enhancements also help simplify IT operations, improving security and protecting the business’ investments.
As a result, Unified Access enhances Alcatel-Lucent’s Converged Campus Network solution, delivering the power of policy integration, network services, BYOD support and cross-platform security to enterprise networks.
Unified Access can be implemented via software upgrades without replacing existing equipment, providing a gradual approach to evolving the network and maximizing investment. IT managers can also easily define appropriate security and quality of service (QoS) policies enabling the network to dynamically adjust to the communication context, taking into consideration priorities and bandwidth criteria for user, device, application, location and time of day.
To drive adoption of Unified Access, Alcatel-Lucent is working with long-time technology partner Aruba Networks (NASDAQ; ARUN) to offer a full suite of BYOD services as part of the unified and open-campus network solutions. With a common strategy towards open standards and emerging technologies, such as software defined networking (SDN), the resulting integrated wired and wireless solutions provide a best-of-breed approach eliminating vendor lock-in and reducing total cost of ownership.
Since 2001, Abilene Christian University (ACU), based in Abilene, Texas, has built a long standing relationship with Alcatel-Lucent. The Unified Access and Aruba ClearPass technology enables ACU to bring all products under one view and provide a stronger platform to deliver innovative capabilities for students in the near future. The IT staff, faculty, educators and 4500 students are already experiencing benefits from the Unified Access offer.
“We built a network that protects students and also gives them a consistent experience that meets the expectations of their digital lives,” said Kevin Roberts, Abilene Christian University CIO. “At ACU we focused on providing critical learning opportunities for our students, and offering the latest in technology helps make this real.”
- Unified Access capabilities are offered across Alcatel-Lucent’s entire enterprise networking portfolio, requiring only a software upgrade to deploy while preserving existing equipment. Unified Access network services and BYOD services are available today.
- Aruba’s ClearPass Access Management System allows enterprises to securely provision and manage mobile devices on enterprise networks, and is integrated with Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitches, OmniAccess routers and OmniVista NMS for a seamless, consistent user experience.
- Aruba’s AirGroup services under ClearPass Policy Manager, supported on both the wired and wireless LAN, enable end users and IT administrators to self-register Apple® devices. In the higher education environment, students in dorms can plug in printers, Apple TVs, and other consumer devices, register them and set access limits for select friends use instead of the whole campus, all without IT involvement.
- Management enhancements ease the burden of IT by automating operations for BYOD services such as device configuration and guest registration, and provide common troubleshooting and monitoring tools across the wired and wireless networks.
- New security features such as automatic configuration of 802.1x security and certificates increase LAN security to be on par with the wireless experience. Devices like laptops, tablets, printers and cameras are automatically registered, keeping the network secure without overloading IT departments with manual tasks.
- Extensive Professional Services offerings, leveraging Alcatel-Lucent’s broad knowledge of wired and wireless LAN networking, support channel partners and their customers in evolving their network to support unified access and BYOD services.
Alcatel-Lucent is making this announcement at GITEX, the ICT business gateway to the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia Region, taking place in Dubai. See Unified Access demonstrations at Stand Z-B10.
“Alcatel-Lucent was one of the first partners in the history of our company,” said Dominic Orr, CEO and President of Aruba Networks. “Aruba has long embraced a vision of the open intelligent campus, and I’m delighted that we have a like-minded partner in Alcatel-Lucent. Their Unified Access strategy combines the best of both of our technologies, and delivers a unified platform to customers that solves today’s IT challenges.”
“Alcatel-Lucent is known for its ability to deliver deeply integrated solutions to solve real customer needs,” said Michel Emelianoff, President, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise. “We knew that the current wave of BYOD and mobility would bring new challenges that needed a holistic solution. Unified Access is our answer to these challenges. We have architected Unified Access to not only solve these challenges but simplify adoption.”
“Unified Access is promising to bring wired and wireless networks together from a management and security perspective. Alcatel-Lucent is taking the next steps to focus on the user experience with the integration of services that enable employees to access a consistent experience across all devices. By offering Unified Access over the entire enterprise portfolio, customers can decide how aggressive they want to be – as they need and can afford to – in building their Unified Access strategy,” said Zeus Kerravala, Principal at ZK Research.
Converged Campus Networks http://enterprise.alcatel-
Unified Access for a Converged World http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Unify your network for a mobile enterprise http://enterprise.alcatel-
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012′s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent bloghttp://www.alcatel-lucent.com/