Taliban attack kills 15 security men, 35 rebels in S. Afghanistan

ISLAMABAD, June 15 (KUNA) — At least 15 Afghan security personnel have been killed and four others wounded during the clash that left around 35 Taliban rebels dead in Afghanistan’s southern Kandahar province.
Kandahar governor’s spokesman Samim Khpalwak said in a statement to media on Wednesday that the overnight clash broke out when armed insurgents stormed security posts manned by the national army, police and public order police in Band-i-Taimur area of the Maiwand district.
The attack left at least 15 Afghan security personnel and 35 rebels dead. The official said a delegation had been sent to the area to evaluate the situation and collect exact information about casualties.
According to local media, Taliban have claimed responsibility of the attack saying that the fighters captured an Afghan military base and killed 32 soldiers seizing their weapons. The clash came at a time when Taliban have paced up their attacks across Afghanistan following the launch of their warm weather offensive against the foreign and local security forces. (end) sbk.gb