Security Council members left South Sudan disappointedly

JUBA (CIHAN)- The Security Council members left South Sudan today expressing disappointment with both president Salva Kiir and his opponent Riek Machar for their lack of commitment to reaching “a rapid agreement in the talks in Addis Ababa.”

Council members held direct talks with President Kiir and also spoke to former Vice-President Machar through video teleconference during their visit.

Speaking in Juba, before their departure from South Sudan, they said their discussions with President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar had been “rather disappointing” at times.

US Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power reiterated the need for both leaders to put together a transitional authority that would help begin a long process of reconciliation.

Describing the South Sudanese as “some of the most resilient people that the world has ever seen”, she decried continued fighting, especially with the risk of famine and a humanitarian catastrophe.

UK Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said the Council and international community, who helped South Sudan achieve independence, had hoped to see the country building on peace and stability three years later, but instead what we see is a failure of leadership”.

He added that the Security Council is “annoyed and angry at what has happened” and underlined a very strong message that “there would be consequences for those who try to undermine the peace process, and are not willing to put aside their personal agendas in the interest of their people.”

The United States of America on August 12 announced another $180 million in food assistance for the people of South Sudan.

SOURCE: CIHAN