IOM : Mediterranean Death Toll Exceeds 200 Since January 1

Rome, At least 219 people have died trying to reach Europe by crossing the Mediterranean in the first weeks of 2017, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Tuesday.
IOM is investigating weekend reports of a drowning that could add some 200 deaths to the total.
Four survivors of a migrant shipwreck that occurred last Saturday off the coast of Libya claim 180 fellow passengers have perished, according to the organization.
“We were in the water for over 11 hours before rescuers arrived,” a young Eritrean man told Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) psychologists in the Sicilian city of Trapani on Tuesday.
According to IOM, 2,876 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea during January 1-15. That compares with 23,664 arrivals in the first two weeks of January last year.

Source: Qatar News Agency