US Embassy guard escapes kidnappers in Libya

Baku: A security guard working at the US Embassy in Libya has escaped her captors after being abducted earlier this week, the embassy says, APA reports quoting, APA reports quoting Press TV.

“She’s free now. She was able to escape,” said Joe Mellott, a spokesman for the US Embassy in the capital Tripoli on Tuesday, referring to the Libyan guard.

Mellott said she was being treated at a hospital for injuries she sustained during her abduction.

“She was wounded but her life isn’t in danger,” he said, adding that US Ambassador to Libya Deborah Jones had visited her at the hospital.

Mellott did not elaborate more on the abduction, saying the incident was not linked to the woman’s work at the embassy.

The guard was kidnapped at a time she was off duty on Monday.

According to a Libyan security source, the woman was abducted during a carjacking and had been shot.

Earlier in the day, Fawaz Aitan, the Jordanian ambassador to Libya, was kidnapped by masked gunmen, who shot at his car and injured his driver in the capital.

On September 11, 2012, clashes broke out at the US consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi after a group of people held a demonstration to protest against a blasphemous movie that insults Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and depicts Islam as an oppressive religion.

US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three staff members of the US consulate were killed during clashes at the mission building. According to a US official, at least five other Americans were also wounded in the clashes.

SOURCE: AZERI PRESS NEWS AGENCY