TODAY’S – 82 pct of Turks believe corruption exists in Turkey

82 pct of Turks believe corruption exists in TurkeyAmid continuing debates over the veracity of corruption allegations that emerged following the breaking of a major graft investigation in 2013, a recent survey has revealed that 82 percent of Turkish society believes corruption exists in Turkey.According to recent report by the Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV), the vast majority of people in Turkey believe that bribery exists in the country.

While 68 percent of individuals find corruption unacceptable, the remaining 32 percent see it as acceptable behaviorThe reportand#39s findings were based on a survey conducted by the foundation on 1,206 individuals across the country between Feb. 28 and Mar 11, 2014.

Even though the government has gone to great efforts to cover up the graft allegations since they first emerged in December 2013, the survey shows that the public has not been convinced by the efforts of the ruling party deputies who were implicated in the investigation.While 59 percent of respondents in the survey saw unemployment as the most pressing problem in the country, only 44 percent considered corruption to be the biggest problem The remaining 7 percent, however, argued that environmental pollution is the biggest challenge facing Turkey.

Survey respondents considered police officers to be the most likely public office to engage in corrupt activities. When asked which public officials are considered the most likely to engage in bribery, 13 percent of respondents said the police, 12 percent said municipal officials, 11 percent said tax officials, 11 percent said members of city councils and 10 percent said customs officials.

A popular phrase regarding perceived public acceptance of corruption in the country is, andldquoEveryone steals, but these guys do work,andrdquo a reference to the alleged corrupt practices of members of the ruling party and their supportersand#39 willingness to overlook that corruption. However, the survey found that 81 percent of respondents think graft cases should not be disregarded, even at the risk of hindering public service.

Only 8 percent of respondents said corruption should be ignored if services provided by the guilty parties are considered sufficient.A total of 69.

4 percent of respondents said that Turkey has been experiencing an ethical crisis and 69.2 percent of respondents agreed that there is a lack of formal mechanisms to battle corruption.

TESEVand#39s report also presents suggestions for the fight against corruption. The report recommends a control mechanism to have ministers and deputies declare their property.

The extent to which members of political parties should be required to declare property should be more andldquoinclusive,andrdquo the report said.More transparency and the revocation of legislative immunity in corruption cases are also among the recommendations proposed in the report.

SOURCE: Today’s Zaman