Suspects selectively excluded from indictment in Dink murder case

The indictment was accepted by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Dec. 9. However, Today’s Zaman has learned that, upon the request from the prosecutor’s office, Kokcu removed some names from the list of suspects.

Among those names are the former head of the National Police Department’s Counterterrorism Unit, Selim Kutkan; retired Brig. Gen. Kucuk; Kemal Kerincisiz, an ultranationalist lawyer; Sevgi Erenerol, an attorney representing Ergenekon defendants; former İstanbul Vice Governor Ergun Gungor; and former National Intelligence Organization (MİT) official Ozel Yılmaz.

A lawyer representing the family of Dink previously claimed Kutkan has links to Ergenekon and has accused him of leaking information to the terrorist organization and destroying evidence in the case.

Lawyer İsmail Cem Halavut claimed that Kutkan gave information related to Ergenekon to Ergenekon suspects and destroyed videotape recordings in Dink’s case to the advantage of those suspects, raising suspicions that Ergenekon is responsible for Dink’s murder.

Ergenekon is a clandestine terrorist organization charged with attempting to overthrow the government.

A report sent in 2010 from the İstanbul Police Department to the court hearing the Dink case said six Ergenekon defendants had telephone conversations with the defendants in the Dink case prior to Dink’s murder. According to the report, these Ergenekon suspects were Kucuk, Kerincsiz, Mustafa Levent Goktas, Muzaffer Tekin and Erbay Colakoglu.

The report came in response to a request by the Dink family’s lawyers, who had demanded the 14th İstanbul High Criminal Court write to the İstanbul Police Department to inquire about any links, such as possible telephone conservations, between suspects in the Ergenekon case and the Dink case.

Moreover, according to the document that was seized from the computer of Turhan Comez, a former deputy from the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), a man called Yusuf Ziyad, who is said to be a Kurd living in the Kurdish-controlled region of northern Iraq, says retired Gen. Kucuk and the National Police Department and JİTEM, an illegal counterterrorism unit, were behind the Dink murder.

Dink was shot by 17-year-old Ogun Samast on Jan. 19, 2007, in front of the office of the Agos newspaper, where he served as editor-in-chief. In January 2012, Samast was sentenced to 22 years and 10 months in prison by a juvenile court while another court ruled for life imprisonment for Yasin Hayal on charges of instigating the murder. Another suspect, Erhan Tuncel, was acquitted of murder charges.

SOURCE: TODAY’S ZAMAN