Survey: Judicial reforms, economic growth key challenges for new gov’t

The top two issues facing the government that is expected to be formed in line with the results of the latest parliamentary election are the initiation of judicial reforms and the creation of sustainable growth rates, a recent questionnaire conducted by the economy daily, Dandunya, has revealed.
A total of 121 chamber of commerce and exchange market presidents from 25 provinces across the country were polled by the daily in the and”Anatoliaand’s Pulseand” survey, which asked questions about the respondentand’s expectations of the new government and their predictions on possible coalitions. According to the initial results of the poll, 100 business professionals out of 121, or 82.6 percent of all interviewees, said the prospective government should immediately begin reforms to improve the judicial structure of the country.
Prior to the survey, leading trade unions, businessmen and EU institutions had long been voicing concerns over the weakening of the rule of law in Turkey. At the same time, 87 of the respondents, or 71 percent, noted poor economic growth as the biggest problem the new government will have to address with regards to economy-related issues. While 84 respondents, accounting for 69.4 percent of those surveyed, ranked the current status of the and”settlement processand” as the second most important problem in the countryand’s political sphere, corruption ranked third, with 59.5 percent of the interviewees seeing it as one of three burning challenges they expect to be handled by the new government.
The settlement process refers to talks between the government and representatives of the countryand’s Kurdish population that began in late 2012 in bid to remedy the decades-old ethnic repression of Kurdish culture. The two most significant economic troubles after growth were listed as the large current account deficit and monetary policies.
While 65.3 percent of the respondents said the current account deficit is the second most important economic problem of the prospective government, 50.4 percent ranked foreign exchange rate policies as the third problem that must be solved.

h2Ideal coalition needs AK Party, CHP but reality points to AK Party, MHPh2
The dailyand’s survey also showed that businesspeople consider a possible coalition between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the main opposition Republican Peopleand’s Party (CHP) as the most ideal however, they forecast that the AK Party will prefer to establish the government with the second largest opposition in terms of votes — the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP). The survey results indicated that 43 percent of the respondents feel an AK Party-CHP coalition would be the ideal government formula.
And while 24 percent preferred a coalition between the AK Party and the MHP, a mere 9.9 percent said the best option would be a minority government involving the CHP and the MHP with the third opposition Peoplesand’ Democratic Party (HDP) externally supporting the alliance. Of the respondents, 38 percent expect the coalition will actually be formed with the AK Party and the MHP.
While 33.1 percent of the interviewees expect the AK Party to form a coalition with the CHP, only 10.7 percent said the CHP and MHP will cooperate in the formation of a coalition with the HDPand’s external support. Asked about their willingness to see a snap election in the near future, 89.3 percent of the respondents said no, while the remaining 10.7 percent leaned towards to an early election.

SOURCE: Today’s Zaman