OSCE Minks Group did nothing to solve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, top official

By: Mushvig Mehdiyev

Co-chairing countries of the OSCE Minsk Group – the U.S., France and Russia — have done nothing in view of regulating the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict over the past 20 years.

The address came from Ali Hasanov, the head of the State Committee on Refugees and IDPs, who commented on the brokering group’s activity aimed at fetching a breakthrough in the protracted conflict in Azerbaijan’s occupied regions.

Hasanov said the only unresolved problem of Azerbaijan is the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized Nagorno-Karabakh territory was turned into a battlefield and zone of aggravated tensions after Armenia sent its troops to occupy Azerbaijan’s lands in the early 1990s. As a result, 20 percent of Azerbaijan’s internationally recognized territory stands under Armenian military occupation.

For the past two decades, despite calls from the international community and mediation efforts by the OSCE Minsk Group, Armenia has refused to withdraw its troops and retreat within its national borders.

“The reason standing behind the failure to settle the conflict is the unjust approaches by the U.S., France and Russia. I will criticize these countries until the conflict is settled and all the refugees and IPDs returned to their homeland,” Hasanov stressed at the conference “Great leader Heydar Aliyev – founder of modern Azerbaijan” in Baku on May 6.

Hasanov claimed that the problem in Nagorno-Karabakh was created by the Soviet Union headed by Mikhail Gorbachev and further by former Russian President, Boris Yeltsin, and is yet to be settled. He underlined Moscow’s significant role in creating the incumbent regime in Yerevan.

Baku has repeatedly revealed its disillusionment with the mediator group’s fruitless activity so far. Periodical statements by the co-chairs calling for a peaceful engagement show that there is a serious lack of renewed strategies in the Minsk Group to help clinch an agreement on the frozen conflict.

Even during his meeting with the Armenian foreign minister in Yerevan in February, Warlick said “the co-chairs have nothing new to introduce to the parties of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict” and “the visit to Armenia was just an opportunity to hold talks”.

Referring to the Azerbaijani captives detained and judged in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh, Hasanov said “Dilgam Askerov and Shahbaz Guliyev will absolutely be released”.

Three Azerbaijanis – Hasan Hasanov, Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev – were captured in the Shaplar village of Azerbaijan’s occupied Kalbajar district on July 11, 2014 by the Armenian special forces. Hasanov was reported killed after enduring brutal torture.

Later on, Asgarov and Guliyev were judged in a show trial in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region and subsequently sentenced to life in prison and 22 years imprisonment respectively, on trump up charges.

SOURCE: Azer News