KESK member: Police forced us to announce a third bomb

ilhan Yiiit, a central executive committee member of the Confederation of Public Sector Trade Unions (KESK), has claimed that police officers forced union members to announce the existence of a third bomb in the area after twin suicide bomb blasts hit a peace rally in the heart of Ankara on Oct. 10.
A total of 102 people were killed while over 500 people were injured in the deadly attack in front of Ankaraand’s main train station, where members of KESK, the Confederation of Progressive Trade Unions (DiSK), the Turkish Union of Engineers and Architectsand’ Chambers (TMMOB) and the Turkish Doctorand’s Association (TTB) were scheduled to meet up to hold a and”Labor, Peace and Democracyand” rally.
The organizers announced after the attack that the rally was canceled. Since then, media outlets have speculated that misconduct or negligence on the part of the government and state officials played a contributing role in the attacks.
According to the Cumhuriyet daily on Tuesday, KESK member Yiiit said police officers forced union members organizing the peace rally to announce that there was a third bomb detected in the area of the rally, adding that union members were also asked ahead of the rally to sign a report indicating the event had been held without any problems. and”The police before the rally asked me to sign a report that should normally be signed if the rally ends without any problematic incidents,and” Yiiit explained.
He also stated police officers repeatedly asked them if main opposition Republican Peopleand’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kiliandcdaroilu and pro-Kurdish Peoplesand’ Democratic Party (HDP)o-chairs Selahattin Demirtai and Figen Yanduksekdai would attend the rally. and”I told them both parties were in support of the rally and that the party leaders would attend it if they were able to clear their schedules for Oct. 10,and” Yiiit added.
Referring to the security flaws in the area of the rally, Yiiit said: and”Generally when we hold a rally starting out from Ankaraand’s main train station, there would be a lot of police officers guarding the area. They would form a safety chain around the people walking towards the rally area. The police officers did not do that this time around. There were only three police cars in the area [before the attack].and” He also said the union members refused when police officers bizarrely asked them to search street hawkers around the area of the peace rally for security reasons.
Yiiit claimed police officers drew people gathering in the rally area to where the blast were about to take place, while union members were directing them away from the area where the explosions took place.
Four people were arrested following the Oct. 10 attack amid widespread criticism of negligence on the part of the government. Among those arrested was Yakup iahin, who was involved in ferrying the two suicide bombers from Gaziantep to Ankara. iahin admitted to playing a role in the attack during his police interrogation and provided details about its preparation in a 17-page statement read before a court on Oct. 14.
A document recently revealed to the public by FOX TV indicates that the National Police Department in September warned police stations across the country to take strict security precautions because the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) was planning to carry out a large-scale attack in Turkey.
The document also provided information about the possible nature of the attack and warned that it could take the form of a plane or ship hijacking or suicide bomb attacks in a crowded location.

SOURCE: TODAY’S ZAMAN