Investigation launched into HDP co-chair on charge of insulting police

The Diyarbakir Chief Public Prosecutorand’s Office has launched an investigation into the co-chair of the pro-Kurdish Peoplesand’ Democratic Party (HDP), Figen Yanduksekdai.
The charges laid against Yanduksekdai are insulting the police while on a visit to the Silvan district of Diyarbakir province during a 12-day curfew, and disseminating propaganda for the terrorist Kurdistan Workersand’ Party (PKK).
Yanduksekdai and several other pro-Kurdish lawmakers went to Silvan to investigate the situation the district. Hundreds of HDP supporters as well as several lawmakers gathered in front of the Silvan municipal building on Nov. 12 to march to the three neighborhoods that were under curfew. They were, however, stopped by the police.
Law enforcement officers used tear gas and water cannons against the lawmakers and protesters. Yanduksekdai and the other deputies — idris Baluken, Handuda Kaya, Ahmet Yildirim, andcailar Demirel, Nursel Yildirim, Ertuirul Kandurkandcandu and Altan Tan — resisted the police, who refused to permit the group to march to the neighborhoods despite the efforts of the deputies to convince them otherwise. The prosecutorand’s office launched the investigation into Yanduksekdai on charges of insulting the police during this confrontation and disseminating propaganda for the PKK in several statements she made about the curfew in Silvan.
Yanduksekdai was hit in the head by a gas canister fired by police during her visit to Silvan. The three neighborhoods had been the scene of heavy clashes between the security forces and militants from the PKK terrorist group during the curfew. Some of the lawmakers in the group had arguments with the police, the Cihan news agency reported.
Speaking to the private IMC TV station following the incident, Yanduksekdai said the police intervened without any prior warning for the protesters to disperse, even though they knew the people in the group were unarmed civilians. She said some in the group were injured but did not elaborate.
The curfew in Silvan was lifted on Nov. 14 after 12 days.


Related Post
KABUL, Afghanistan, Jan. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — Afghan Wireless Communication Company (AWCC) (, the nation’s first
KABUL, Afghanistan, Jan. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — Afghan Wireless Communication Company (AWCC) (, the nation’s first