Death toll in DiyarbakIr rally blasts rises to 3

The number of people who were killed in two explosions which rocked a large Kurdish party election rally in southeast Turkey on Friday has increased to three.
Seventeen-year-old Civan Arslan, who was critically injured in the blasts, had been receiving treatment at the Dicle University Hospitaland’s intensive care unit since Friday. Arslan died on Monday night.
Two people, 34-year-old ieyhmuz Kaandcan and 47-year-old Necati Kurul, were earlier announced to have been killed in the blasts. The blasts occurred five minutes apart at the rally of the pro-Kurdish Peopleand’s Democratic Party (HDP), as party leader Selahattin Demirtai was preparing to address the crowd of tens of thousands in Diyarbakir, the main city in Turkeyand’s predominantly Kurdish southeast. Agriculture Minister Mehdi Eker said on Saturday that Turkish police determined that at least one of the lethal explosions was from TNT, and that both explosions involved andquotcell phone mechanisms.andquot Initial reports had said that electrical equipment had exploded, but Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoilu said in comments published Saturday that the two explosions were acts of sabotage and provocation.

SOURCE: Today’s Zaman