Burundi investigates attacks on radio stations during failed coup

Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza on Wednesday said investigations were ongoing into the attacks on radio stations during last week’s aborted coup against him running for a third term in the June elections.

“Investigations on the destroyed radio stations are still ongoing, and we are asking for the investigations to be accelerated to identify the perpetrators of the attacks against radio stations,” Nkurunziza said in his address to the nation.

He said “severe punishment” will be given to those who were culpable for the attacks.

Rema FM radio station which is allied to the ruling party was attacked on May 13 when some soldiers announced a coup, while four other pro-opposition radio stations were attacked one day later.

The coup plotters tried in vain to take control of the state- owned broadcaster.

Meanwhile, Nkurunziza urged international media in Burundi to “abstain from encouraging insurrectionary movements.”

“The international and local media are urged to avoid encouraging insurrectionary movements, hatred and mistrust during the electoral period,” he said. Enditem

SOURCE: CIHAN