As curfew enters sixth day, 7 PKK terrorists killed in Derik

The curfew was imposed by the Derik District Governor’s Office as of 12 a.m. on Thursday. It is currently in force in the Cevizpınar, Kale, Kucukpınar, Zeytinpınar, Bahcelievler, Dag, Sogutozu and Tepebag neighborhoods of the district.

In a written statement released on Tuesday, the governor’s office stated that clashes between security forces and members of the Patriotic Revolutionary Youth Movement (YDG-H), an affiliate of the PKK, are continuing and that seven PKK terrorists have been killed during the operation that was launched on Thursday.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) announced on Monday that in a skirmish in Derik between Turkish security forces and members of the YDG-H, Sgt. Sezer Aydemir was killed and another soldier injured in a rocket attack on a military vehicle. Rockets also hit a home and an empty school building on the same day. There were no reports of any casualties in either incident.

An official funeral ceremony was held in Mardin on Tuesday for Aydemir. Mardin Governor Omer Faruk Kocak and 7th Corps commander Gen. İbrahim Yılmaz were among those in attendance. Aydemir’s body was sent to his hometown in Elazıg for burial following the ceremony. Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar released a message on Monday to offer his condolences to the family of Aydemir.

The curfew that was imposed in the Abdulkadirpasa, Fırat, Dicle and Yenisehir neighborhoods of the Nusaybin district of Mardin as of 9 p.m. on Sunday is still in effect, with gunshots and explosions being heard. The security forces have been conducting a large-scale operation in these neighborhoods. This curfew in Nusaybin came just four days after an earlier curfew, put in place in Nusaybin on Nov. 13, was lifted on Thursday. Nine civilians were killed during the 13-day curfew.

In the meantime PKK terrorists attacked a police lodge and a police station in the southeastern province of Siirt on Monday night. According to media reports, the terrorists attacked the Sehit Kemal Kefeli Police Station and a lodge that is used by police officers and their families with hand grenades. No one was injured or killed in the attacks. Police have launched an investigation into the attacks and an operation is under way to capture the perpetrators.

Terrorists also attacked the police with rockets and rifles in the Cizre district of Sırnak province on Monday evening. In the clashes that erupted following the attack, three PKK terrorists were killed.

A large number of civilians have been killed in confrontations between security forces and the PKK in southeastern towns and cities since late July. Curfews lasting for more than a week have been imposed on several particularly tense districts in the provinces of Diyarbakır, Hakkari, Mardin, Sırnak and Van. According to a report released by the Human Rights Association (İHD) in October, more than 100 civilians have been killed in the region since late July.

Turkey began pounding PKK targets in southeastern Anatolia and northern Iraq on July 24 after two police officers were executed by the terrorist group, apparently in retaliation for a suicide bombing on July 20 that killed 33 pro-Kurdish activists and was blamed on the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Violence has escalated sharply since then, with the PKK stepping up attacks on security forces in the Southeast. The terrorist group has also been blocking many roads in the region.