3 die from carbon monoxide poisoning in northern Turkey

TRABZON: Three people, a couple and their grandson, died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home in the Black Sea province of Trabzon on Saturdaywhile two other family members were hospitalized after exposure to the gas from a coal stove.

Medine Kalyoncu (62), Mahmut Kalyoncu (65) and their 11-year-old grandson Mert Ali Kalyoncu were found dead by an employee of Mahmut Kalyoncu, who got worried after his boss failed to show up for work. The couple’s 12-year-old Mahmut Can Kalyoncu, also exposed to gas and semi-conscious, opened the door to the employee, who then called an ambulance. The couple’s 30-year-old handicapped son Erhan Kalyoncu was also poisoned and taken to a hospital along with Mahmut Can Kalyoncu.

Authorities have launched an investigation into the incident.

SOURCE: CIHAN