WHO: CONCERNS OVER CHOLERA OUTBREAK IN YEMEN

Geneva – The World Health Organization (WHO) expressed concerns that the cholera epidemic in Yemen is worsening as the war continues and the health and living conditions of the population deteriorate.

WHO representative in Yemen Nevio Zagaria said on Friday that if the situation continues as it is, Yemen could have as many as 300,000 cases of cholera within six months.

“We need to expect something that could go up to 200,000-250,000 cases over the next six months, in addition to the 50,000 cases that have already occurred,” he said.

“You can understand that with this number the price that we will pay in terms of lives will be extremely, extremely high,” Zagaria added.

Zagaria said cholera was spreading in Yemen at an unprecedented pace. The number of deaths from the epidemic in 18 provinces was 242 as of April 27.

He also pointed to the shortage of medicines in Yemeni hospitals, as well as the deterioration of medical conditions, sanitation and hygiene, which makes the epidemic control a “very difficult process”. Zagaria called on the international community to move and help the Yemenis to overcome this “dangerous” situation.

The WHO last month announced that about 7.6 million people are living in areas where there is a high risk of cholera infection.

Source: Qatar News Agency

Related Post
الشهادة تعالج الطلب المتزايد بين المنظمات الدولية على الحماية من مخاطر الطرف الثالث المتزايدة دبي،
الشهادة تعالج الطلب المتزايد بين المنظمات الدولية على الحماية من مخاطر الطرف الثالث المتزايدة دبي،
Qatar's Minister of Foreign Affairs HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani said that the siege