Security operation kills 37, wounds 44 fighters in E. Afghanistan

ISLAMABAD, June 28 (KUNA) — At least 37 fighters belonging to the So-called Islamic State (IS) have been killed and 44 others wounded in the last 24 hours during a major offensive against the group in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province, Afghan officials said Tuseday.
Nangarhar governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said in a statement that security forces had recaptured a number of areas including Khwargai, Janjal Ghundi and Seh Pai villages from the militants group.
The operation was launched in the Kot district of Nangarhar killing at least 37 fighters and injuring 44 others, he confirmed.
Earlier on Thursday, hundreds of IS fighters attacked several villages in the Kot district and captured them forcing Afghan security forces to retreat.
The 201 Selab Military Corps fourth brigade commander, Gen. Mohammad Nasim Sangin also claimed that the latest offensive had resulted in recapturing a number of areas.
He further said that two soldiers were killed and two others wounded during the operation.
Nangarhar Governor, Salim Khan Kunduzi, told the media that ground and air forces were taking part in the Kot operation and the district would be soon purged militants’ presence.
He said the militants had torched 90 homes of local residents and 500 families had been displaced as a result of the attack.
Earlier, reports suggested that at least 10 IS fighters were killed and 18 others wounded in air strikes by Afghan Air force (AAF) in Nangarhar. (end) sbk.mb

Related Post
أبوظبي، الإمارات العربية المتحدة، 16 أكتوبر 2017 /PRNewswire/ — شهد مساء 14 أكتوبر مراسم افتتاح
لاجوس، نيجيريا، 17 أكتوبر 2017/ PRNewswire/– عُقد المنتدى السنوي الثالث لمؤسسة توني ايلو ميلو (TEF)
أبوظبي، الإمارات العربية المتحدة 15 أكتوبر 2017 — تم افتتاح المنتدى الرابع لشبكة مشغلي وحدات