INDONESIA LANDSLIDE DEATH TOLL RISES TO 27

Jakarta, – Death toll of victims who were believed to have been buried in a landslide in a village in Indonesia’s East Java province Saturday rose to 27, an official said.

Residents were harvesting ginger on a hillside in Ponorogo district when the landslide struck after heavy rain the night before, said Sutopo Nugroho, spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency.

A search operation involving soldiers, police and local volunteers was under way.

Residents had been warned about the threat of a landslide by local authorities and evacuated the area at night. But they returned in the early morning to work, he said. (QNA)

Source: Qatar News Agency