Curfew lifted in Nusaybin after 13 days, new curfew imposed in Derik

The Nusaybin District Governor’s Office said the curfew, which was declared in order to restore peace due to the escalating number of terrorist acts in the area, was lifted as of 8 a.m. on Thursday. The governorate also thanked the area’s citizens for obeying the curfew.

However, during the curfew, clashes continued in Nusaybin between Turkish security forces and members of the Patriotic Revolutionary Youth Movement (YDG-H) — an affiliate of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) — in three neighborhoods in particular. Despite lifting the curfew in Nusaybin, police have closed roads to four neighborhoods to traffic.

In a written statement issued on Wednesday night, the Derik District Governor’s Office announced that a curfew would be imposed in Derik as of 12 a.m. on Thursday. The curfew is now in force in the Cevizpınar, Kale, Kucukpınar, Zeytinpınar, Bahcelievler, Dag, Sogutozu and Tepebag neighborhoods of the district, according to the statement.

In a related development, a group of PKK terrorists blocked part of a highway that runs between the İdil district of Sanlıurfa province and the Midyat district of Mardin and set a truck on fire on Wednesday night. The security forces launched a large-scale operation around the highway to capture the terrorists, who fled the scene when security personnel were deployed.

A large number of civilians have been killed in clashes between the security forces and the PKK in southeastern towns and cities since late July. Curfews lasting for more than a week have been imposed on several particularly tense districts in the provinces of Diyarbakır, Hakkari, Mardin, Sırnak and Van. According to a report released by the Human Rights Association (İHD) in October, more than 100 civilians have been killed in the region since late July.

Turkey began pounding PKK targets in southeastern Anatolia and northern Iraq on July 24 after two police officers were killed by the terrorist group, apparently in retaliation for a suicide bombing on July 20 that killed 33 pro-Kurdish activists and was blamed on the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Violence has escalated sharply since then, with the PKK stepping up attacks on security forces in southeastern Anatolia. The terrorist group has also been blocking many roads in the region.

SOURCE: TODAY’S ZAMAN

Related Post
PESHAWAR, -- At least 10 people were killed and 30 others injured on Friday when
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu had meeting with the members of presidential council of Bosnia
The report said that the police operation, which is seen the part of the ongoing