Azerbaijan, Brazil to boost customs cooperation

By: Nazrin Gadimova

Azerbaijan and Brazil are going to sign an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in customs sphere.

The news was announced by Chairman of the State Customs Committee and Lieutenant General of Azerbaijani Customs Service Aydin Aliyev at a meeting with deputy secretary of Brazil’s Federal Agency on Revenues and Customs Service Chief Chekkukki Ernani in Baku.

The two sides exchanged views over cooperation prospects between the two countries in the customs sphere, particularly the establishment of a legal framework and the organization of reciprocal visits.

Aliyev highlighted Azerbaijan’s achievements in the field of customs and said there is great potential for cooperation between the two countries’ customs authorities.

Argolo Checcucci, in turn, said Brazil is keen on cooperating with Azerbaijan in the field of customs and expressed confidence that his visit would give an impetus to boosting bilateral relations.

Addressing the event, Aliyev said Brazil is one of Azerbaijan’s main partners in Latin America.

“The simplification of foreign trade is one of the directions of customs cooperation,” he said. “Meetings with Azerbaijani officials provided by the Brazilian delegation’s visit will play an important role in expanding cooperation between the two countries in the sphere of foreign trade.”

Saying that bilateral cooperation is not only limited to imports to Azerbaijan, Aliyev added that about 60 percent of the imports falls on the delivery of raw materials for sugar production, while the remaining 40 percent includes the supply of various kinds of machinery and equipment.

“If the volume of imports from Brazil amounted to $183 million in 2012, it exceeded $360 million at the end of last year,” Aliyev added.

Baku will host the First Global Conference of the International Network of Customs Universities on May 21-23, Aliyev said, adding that it will focus on trade facilitation.

The chairman of the State Customs Committee said the event will bring about 200 representatives of 65 countries together.

SOURCE: AZER NEWS

Related Post
PESHAWAR, -- At least 10 people were killed and 30 others injured on Friday when
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu had meeting with the members of presidential council of Bosnia
The report said that the police operation, which is seen the part of the ongoing
\